BROOKLYN, NY (July 1, 2018) – Andres Chaparro’s ninth-inning blast vaulted the Staten Island Yankees past the Brooklyn Cyclones, the Short Season, Class A affiliate of the New York Mets, 3-1 Sunday night at MCU Park in the opener of a three-game home-and-home series.
For the full box score, click here. For the radio highlight, click here.
W: Semple (1-1)
L: Lozer (0-1)
• Andres Chaparro cranked a tie-breaking, two-run home run against Mac Lozer in the top of the ninth inning to give Staten Island a 3-1 lead.
• Cyclones starter Kyle Wilson spun a career-high-tying six innings of one-run ball, allowing one run on three hits and two walks with three strikeouts.
• Staten Island’s Roansy Contreras struck out five over 5 2/3 innings, surrendering one run on three hits and three walks.
KEY CYCLONES CONTRIBUTORS
• Kyle Wilson: 6 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 3 K
• Angel Manzanarez: 1-2, RBI, BB
• Wagner Lagrange: 1-4, 2B
NEWS & NOTES
• Mac Lozer allowed his first runs of the season, yielding the third home run of his career.
• The Cyclones lost consecutive games for the first time this season, and have dropped three of their past four contests.
• In the “Battle for the Bridge,” the Cyclones and Yankees have split the first four of 12 meetings this season.
Brooklyn at Staten Island, Monday, 7 p.m.
Richmond County Bank Ballpark – Staten Island, NY
Probables: RHP Christian James (1-0, 1.13 ERA) vs. RHP Juan De Paula (0-0, 0.93 ERA)