Photo Credit: Kevin Pataky
NORWICH, CT (June 23, 2018) – Trailing 4-3 into the ninth inning, the Brooklyn Cyclones, the Short Season, Class A affiliate of the New York Mets, scored five runs to beat the Connecticut Tigers 8-4 Saturday night at Dodd Stadium and secure the first sweep of the season.
For the full box score, click here.
W: Smith (1-0)
L: Gonzalez (0-1)
• With the bases loaded in the ninth inning, Wagner Lagrange slammed a line drive up the middle, scoring a pair of runs to give the Cyclones a 5-4 lead. Ross Adolph added a two-RBI single to center field, extending the lead to 8-4.
• Connecticut’s Hector Martinez´tied the game at 2-2 in the third inning, blasting a solo home run to left field against Cyclones starter Nicolas Debora.
• Angel Manzanarez’s two-run double to left field erased an early 1-0 deficit, giving the Cyclones a 2-1 lead in the second.
KEY CYCLONES CONTRIBUTORS
• Wagner Lagrange: 3-4, 2 RBI, R, BB
• Angel Manzanarez: 3-4, 2B, 2 RBI, R
• Jose Medina: 2-4, 2B, RBI, BB
• Ross Adolph: 1-5, 2 RBI
NEWS & NOTES
• Kevin Smith made his first professional start, striking out three batters en route to the victory. Smith was selected in the 7th round of the 2018 MLB Draft by the Mets out of Georgia.
• With Saturday’s win, the Cyclones earned their first sweep of the season. Brooklyn has opened up with three consecutive series wins to start the campaign.
• Jose Medina and Wagner Lagrange both extended their hitting streaks to eight games.
Brooklyn vs. Lowell, Sunday, 4 p.m.
MCU Park – Brooklyn, NY
Probables: RHP Jaison Vilera (0-0, 2.25 ERA) vs. RHP Alexander Montero (0-0, 1.80 ERA)