NORWICH, CT (June 21, 2018) – Christian James tossed a career-high 6 2/3 innings of shutout baseball, leading the Brooklyn Cyclones, the Short Season, Class A affiliate of the New York Mets, to a 6-0 win over the Connecticut Tigers Thursday night at Dodd Stadium in the series opener.
For the full box score, click here.
W: James (1-0)
L: Hernandez (0-1)
Cyclones HR: Chambers (1)
• Christian James struck out six over 6 2/3 innings, allowing two hits and two walks en route to his first Cyclones victory. James retired 16 of the first 18 batters he faced, allowing his first hit, a bunt single, in the bottom of the sixth.
• Chase Chambers blasted a two-out, two-run home run over the right field fence in the top of the first inning, giving the Cyclones a 2-0 lead against Connecticut starter, and top 20 Detroit prospect, Wilkel Hernandez.
• Jose Brizuela added an RBI single in the third and a sacrifice fly in the seventh, pushing the lead to 5-0. Later in the seventh, Chandler Avant walked with the bases loaded to round out the scoring for Brooklyn.
KEY CYCLONES CONTRIBUTORS
• Christian James: W, 6 2/3 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 2 BB, 6 K
• Chase Chambers: 2-5, HR, 2 RBI, R
• Jose Brizuela: 1-4, 2 RBI
• Jose Medina: 1-5, 2 R, 2 SB
NEWS & NOTES
• Christian James’ 6 2/3 innings pitched marks a career-high for the 20 year old.
• Brooklyn swiped a season-high four bases.
• Connecticut played Thursday as the Norwich Navigators, in celebration of their #ThrowbackThursday theme.
Cyclones at Tigers, Friday, 7:05 p.m.
Dodd Stadium – Norwich, CT
Probables: RHP Briam Campusano (1-0, 0.00 ERA) vs. RHP Jose Vasquez (1-0, 1.80 ERA)