08/19/2019 8:16 PM
Article By: BrooklynCyclones.com Reports
CONEY ISLAND, NY (August 19, 2019) – The Brooklyn Cyclones, the Short-Season Class A affiliate of the New York Mets, scored first and never looked back, riding a pair of home runs and shutout pitching to a 5-0 win and a series sweep of the Tri-City ValleyCats at MCU Park on Monday night.
For the full box score, click here.
For the full highlights, click here.
W: Gaconi (4-1)
L: Gusto (0-1)
Cyclones HR: Garay (2), Mena (2)
- Gavin Garay smacked the first of two Cyclones home runs off Tri-City reliever Christian Mejias, launching a 391-foot, solo blast to left field in the fourth that made it 3-0 Brooklyn. Two innings later, Jose Mena slugged a two-run home run off the left-field foul pole to boost Brooklyn’s lead to 5-0.
- The Brooklyn bats scored in each of the first two innings off Tri-City starter Ryan Gusto, including a Jose Mena run-scoring double that made it 2-0 in the second.
- Nate Jones, Corey Gaconi, Hunter Parsons, and Josh Hejka combined to shut out Tri-City, limiting the ValleyCats to five hits and recording 10 strikeouts.
KEY CYCLONES CONTRIBUTORS
- Jose Mena: 3-4, 2B, HR, 3 RBI, R
- Gavin Garay: 1-4, HR, RBI, R
- Corey Gaconi: W, 3.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K
- Nate Jones: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 2 K
NEWS & NOTES
- The Cyclones now begin the two-day All-Star break. Brooklyn will have five representatives in the NYPL’s Midsummer Classic: Garrison Bryant, Matt Cleveland, Joe Genord, Mitch Ragan, and Wilmer Reyes. The Cyclones’ coaching and training staff will lead the NYPL Blue Team.
- Brooklyn enters the All-Star break with sole possession of first place in the Wild Card and four series remaining.
- The Cyclones collected their fifth sweep of the season.
- For the fifth time this season, Brooklyn hit two home runs in one game. The Cyclones also combined for their third shutout of the season.
Cyclones at Connecticut (DH) – Thursday, 5:05 p.m.
Dodd Stadium – Norwich, CT
Game 1 Probables: RHP Frank Valentino (1-3, 3.80) vs. TBA
Game 2 Probables: RHP Dan Goggin (2-1, 3.70) vs. TBA