On April 1, 1985 Sports Illustrated published an article written by George Plimpton that was titled “The Curious Case of Sidd Finch.” The story detailed a fireballer named Sidd Finch, who was secretly signed by the New York Mets and was about to change the game forever. He was a tall, lanky righthander that had been clocked throwing 168 MPH. Sounds to good to be true? Well, you’re right.
The story took The Big Apple by storm with reporters and fans alike clamoring for more information as Mets players and front office personnel playing along. It turned out to be an elaborate April Fools Day hoax orchestrated by Sports Illustrated and masterfully penned by the legendary George Plimpton. But while Sidd Finch’s time in a Mets uniform was short-lived, his legend has lived on even 30 years later. There’s a look at the 30-for-30 Short that ESPN recently aired about the “Unhittable: Sidd Finch & The Tibetan Fastball.”
While Sidd Finch may have never taken the field at Shea Stadium or Citi Field, he is still one of the most beloved characters in the history of the Amazins. On Wednesday, August 26th the Cyclones will celebrate all things Sidd Finch as part of our “Sidd Finch 30th Anniversary Celebration.” As part of the evening’s festivities, the first 2,500 fans in attendance will go home with a Sidd Finch bobblehead, featuring his two loves – a baseball and a French horn.
In addition, the Cyclones will wear on-field jerseys inspired by the 1985 Mets uniform, Sidd’s “rookie” season. The uniforms will feature a special Sidd Finch 30th Anniversary patch on the right sleeve and will be raffled off at the game, and auctioned off online following the game.
Here are some of the other events planned for the night:
- The National Anthem will be performed by a French Horn player.
- To celebrate Sidd’s “mastery of mind & body”, fans will be invited to participate in pre-game Yoga on the field.
- A speed pitch competition where fans will be given three attempts to match Sidd’s 168 MPH fastball…combined.
- Anyone named Sidd will be able to receive a discounted bleacher ticket for $1.68. (Valid Only at MCU Park Box Office, While Supplies Last)
- In honor of Sidd’s time spent in Cambridge, anyone wearing a Harvard tee-shirt will be able to jump to the head of the class and run the bases before everyone else after the game.
Single game tickets will be available starting Saturday, May 2nd at 10 AM through BrooklynCyclones.com, the MCU Park or Citi Field Box Office, and by calling 718 - 507- TIXX. There is also a pre-sale available to those who follow the Cyclones on Twitter or like them on Facebook that runs until Friday, May 1st at 11:59 PM.