08/28/2019 8:55 PM
Article By: BrooklynCyclones.com Reports
ABERDEEN, MD (August 28, 2019) – The Brooklyn Cyclones, the Short Season Class A affiliate of the New York Mets, held on to beat the Aberdeen IronBirds 9-8 Wednesday night in the series opener at Leidos Field at Ripken Stadium to move into a tie for first place in the McNamara Division.
For the full box score, click here.
For the full highlights, click here.
W: Otanez (2-1)
L: Lyons (2-5)
SV: Leon (3)
- With the tying run at second base in the ninth inning, Nelson Leon struck out Joey Ortiz to end the game.
- Leading 8-7, Jake Mangum’s two-out RBI single against Connor Gillispie pushed the Brooklyn lead to 9-7.
- Aberdeen rehabber Jaylen Ferguson smoked a grand slam home run over the clubhouse in left field in the bottom of the sixth, cutting the IronBirds’ deficit to 8-7.
- Brooklyn exploded to take a 7-0 lead over the first two innings, receiving a two-run double by Joe Genord and a Ranfy Adon run-scoring single in the rally.
KEY CYCLONES CONTRIBUTORS
- Gavin Garay: 3-5, 2 RBI, R
- Wilmer Reyes: 3-5, R
- Luke Ritter: 2B, RBI, BB, 3 R
- Joe Genord: 1-5, 2B, 3 RBI
- Ranfy Adon: 2-3, 2B, RBI, 2 R, 2 BB
NEWS & NOTES
- The Cyclones have won five of nine games against the Aberdeen IronBirds, going 4-0 this season at Ripken Stadium.
- With the victory, the Cyclones have reached the 40-win plateau for the third time in seven seasons.
- Gavin Garay collected his second consecutive three-hit performance and third of the season.
Cyclones at Aberdeen – Thursday, 7:05 p.m.
Leidos Field and Ripken Stadium – Aberdeen, MD
Probables: RHP Nathan Jones (0-1, 2.77 ERA) vs. RHP Dan Hammer (0-2, 1.20)