CONEY ISLAND, NY (August 27, 2019) – Despite rallying to tie the game in the ninth, the Brooklyn Cyclones, the Short Season Class A affiliate of the New York Mets, were outlasted by the Vermont Lake Monsters 3-2 in 10 innings Tuesday night in the series finale at MCU Park.
For the full box score, click here.
For the full highlights, click here.
W: Mora (2-0)
L: Mullenbach (1-4)
• Vermont broke the 2-2 tie in the 10th inning, scoring on a wild pitch from Matt Mullenbach that squeezed between catcher Jose Mena’s legs.
• Down to their final out in the ninth, Gavin Garay’s RBI triple down the right field line scored Ranfy Adon to tie the game at 2-2. Adon pinch ran for Antoine Duplantis who reached on error with two outs in the ninth.
• The Lake Monsters scored two two-out runs to take a 2-0 lead, scoring on Jordan Diaz’s RBI single in the first inning and Kyle McCann’s run-scoring double in the fourth.
KEY CYCLONES CONTRIBUTORS
• Gavin Garay: 3-4, RBI, 2B
• Wilmer Reyes: 2-4, RBI
• Yoel Romero: 1-4, BB, R
• Frank Valentino: 5.1 IP, 6 H, 2 ER, 0 BB, 8 K
NEWS & NOTES
• Brooklyn starter Frank Valentino struck out a Cyclones-high eight batters.
• With an RBI single in the sixth inning, Wilmer Reyes has collected an RBI in five of his past six games.
• Gavin Garay is 11-19 against Vermont this season, collecting a pair of three-hit games.
Cyclones at Aberdeen – Wednesday, 7:05 p.m.
Leidos Field and Ripken Stadium – Aberdeen, MD
Probables: RHP Michel Otanez (1-1, 2.49 ERA) vs. RHP Jake Lyons (2-4, 2.90 ERA)