LOWELL, MA (June 18, 2019) – Malky Mena tossed 5 2/3 innings of strong baseball, sending the Brookyn Cyclones, the Short Season Class A affiliate of the New York Mets, to a series-opening 2-1 victory over the Lowell Spinners Tuesday night at LeLacheur Park.
For the full box score, click here.
W: Mena (1-0)
L: Lucas (0-1)
SV: Edwards (2)
• Malky Mena struck out five over 5 2/3 innings of one-run ball to earn his first Brooklyn victory. Mena allowed five hits but no walks.
• Ariel Yera broke the 1-1 tie in the fifth with an RBI single through the infield, plating Yoel Romero who tripled to lead off the frame.
• Justin Lasko stranded the tying run at third base in the sixth, keeping the Cyclones ahead. Andrew Edwards struck out the side in the ninth to earn the save.
KEY CYCLONES CONTRIBUTORS
• Malky Mena: W, 5.2 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 5 K
• Andrew Edwards: SV, 2 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 3 K
• Ariel Yera: 1-3, RBI
• Ranfy Adon: 2-4, R
NEWS & NOTES
• Neither team allowed a walk, making it the first time this season the Cyclones pitching staff did not allow a free pass.
• The Cyclones are in first place in the McNamara Division.
• The 2019 MLB Draft selection pitchers have not allowed a run in 8.2 combined innings.
Cyclones at Lowell Spinners – Wednesday, 7:05 p.m.
LeLacheur Park – Lowell, MA
Probables: Corey Oswalt (MiLB rehab) vs. Yusniel Padron (1-0, 1.50 ERA)