BROOKLYN, NY (June 14, 2019) – Brooklyn bats broke out for a four-run sixth inning, sending the Cyclones, the Short Season Class A affiliate of the New York Mets, to a 5-4 Opening Day victory over the Staten Island Yankees in front of 5,894 fans at MCU Park in Coney Island.
For the full box score, click here.
For radio highlights, click here.
W: Silva (1-0)
L: Gardner (0-1)
SV: Metoyer (1)
HR: Genord (1)
• Brooklyn’s four-run sixth broke a 1-1 tie, giving the Cyclones a lead they would not relinquish. Nic Gaddis’s RBI double and Jose Medina’s two-run double sparked the two-out rally.
• Brooklyn reliever Brian Metoyer stranded the tying run in the eighth and ninth innings, respectively to hold the lead.
• Joe Genord blasted his first professional home run over the left-center field wall to give Brooklyn a 1-0 lead in the fourth. He is the first member of the 2019 MLB Draft class to record a hit.
KEY CYCLONES CONTRIBUTORS
• Nic Gaddis: 2-4, 2 2B, RBI, R
• Joe Genord: 1-3, HR, RBI, 2 R, BB
• Jose Medina: 1-3, 2B, 2 RBI
• Brian Metoyer: SV, 1.2 IP, 0 H, 0 ER, 4 K, 1 BB
NEWS & NOTES
• Newly-drafted players Nic Gaddis, Joe Genord, and Zach Ashford all recorded their first professional hits.
• Brooklyn snapped a three-game losing streak on Opening Day.
• The Cyclones return to Brooklyn Sunday for Father’s Day against the Aberdeen Ironbirds at 4 p.m.
Cyclones at Yankees, Saturday, 7 p.m.
Richmond County Bank Ballpark at St. George – Staten Island, NY
Probables: RHP Jaison Vilera (first start) v. RHP Nick Green (MiLB rehab)