BROOKLYN, NY (September 2, 2018) – Tommy Wilson and Anthony Dirocie buckled down to lift the Brooklyn Cyclones, the Short Season, Class A affiliate of the New York Mets, to a 5-4 nail-biting victory against the Staten Island Yankees Sunday afternoon to even the series at Richmond County Bank Ballpark
For the full box score, click here.For the full radio highlights, click here.
W: Oxford (8-1)
L: German (1-3)
S: Wilson (2)
- Tommy Wilson tossed four scoreless innings of relief, a career-high, striking out six to preserve the lead and earn the save.
- Trailing 5-0 in the fourth, the Yankees rallied for four runs against Jose Butto. Back-to-back two-run doubles from Jackson Thoreson and Junior Soto cut the Cyclones lead to one.
- Anthony Dirocie’s RBI double in the second gave the Cyclones a 1-0 lead. In the bottom of the inning, he threw out Staten Island’s Josh Breaux at the plate who attempted to tag and score to tie the game.
KEY CYCLONES CONTRIBUTORS
- Anthony Dirocie: 2-4, 2B, RBI, R, SB
- Tommy Wilson: SV, 4 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 6 K
- Angel Manzanarez: 2-4, 2B, 2 RBI, R
- Billy Oxford: W, 1.2 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 2 K
NEWS & NOTES
- With the victory and an Auburn loss pending, the Cyclones need to win Monday and Auburn needs to lose to grant Brooklyn a playoff berth.
- Billy Oxford earned his league-leading eighth victory Sunday.
- Walter Rasquin stole another base Sunday, bringing his total to 40. He is the all-time stolen bases leader in Cyclones history.
Brooklyn vs. Staten Island – Monday, 4 p.m.
MCU Park – Brooklyn, NY
Probables: RHP Tylor Megill (1-2, 3.21) vs. RHP Harold Cortijo (4-1, 2.63)