CONEY ISLAND, NY (August 29, 2018) – Anthony Dirocie banged a two-run home run to help the Brooklyn Cyclones, the Short Season, Class A affiliate of the New York Mets, hold off the Hudson Valley Renegades 4-2 Wednesday night in the opener of a three-game set at MCU Park. With the victory, the Cyclones remain atop the wild card standings, and pull to within three games behind the Renegades for first place with five to play.
For the full box score, click here. For the radio highlights, click here.
W: Oxford (7-1)
L: Hogan (2-4)
S: Zabaleta (2)
Cyclones HR: Dirocie (4)
- Nick Meyer added an insurance run in the seventh, knocking in Wagner Lagrange, who tripled to begin the frame, to push the lead to 4-2.
- Hudson Valley chipped away, scoring two in the fourth inning against Briam Campusano, scoring on Jordan Qsar’s RBI double and Jonathan Aranda’s run-scoring groundout to make it 3-2.
- Anthony Dirocie’s two-run homer against Miller Hogan capped a three-run second inning, putting Brooklyn ahead 3-0.
KEY CYCLONES CONTRIBUTORS
- Anthony Dirocie: 1-3, HR, 2 RBI, R
- Wagner Lagrange: 2-3, 3B, RBI, 2 R
- Nick Meyer: 1-3, RBI
- Andrew Mitchell: 2 IP, 0 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 K
NEWS & NOTES
- With Anthony Dirocie’s two-run home run, the Cyclones have hit homers in four consecutive games, the longest streak of the season.
- The Cyclones have evened the season series with the Renegades, winning five of the 10 contests.
- Brooklyn’s bullpen combined for 5 1/3 scoreless innings of relief, snapping a streak of three games allowing at least a run.
Brooklyn vs. Hudson Valley – Thursday, 7 p.m.
MCU Park – Brooklyn, NY
Probables: RHP Christian James (4-1, 1.76) vs. RHP Easton McGee (6-3, 5.37)