BROOKLYN, NY (July 30, 2018) – Tri-City’s Cesar Salazar’s two-RBI double in the eighth broke a tie to give the ValleyCats a 6-4 series-opening win over the Brooklyn Cyclones, the Short Season, Class A affiliate of the New York Mets, Monday night at MCU Park.
For the full box score, click here.
W: Moclair (2-3)
L: Hill (1-1)
S: France (1)
- Tri-City’s Cesar Salazar came through for the ValleyCats, scorching a two-run double in the top of the eighth to take a 5-3 lead.
- Carlos Cortes went 3-3, tripling and scoring on a wild pitch in the first inning to tie the game 1-1. His RBI single in the third tied the game at 2-2.
- Jose Butto made his Cyclones debut, delivering a quality start with six innings of three-run ball with four strikeouts. The 20 year old yielded six hits and three walks, but stranded the bases loaded in the sixth inning to keep the game tied.
KEY CYCLONES CONTRIBUTORS
- Carlos Cortes: 3-4, 3B, RBI, R
- Jose Butto: 6 IP, 6 H, 3 ER, 3 BB, 4 K
- Walter Rasquin: 2-4, 2B, RBI
NEWS & NOTES
- Brooklyn and Tri-City have split the first four games of the regular season head-to-head.
- The New York Mets announced that third baseman Todd Frazier will rehab with the Cyclones Tuesday and Wednesday. Frazier has been on the Mets’ disabled list since July 9 with a rib injury.
- Fourth-round draft selection Adam Hill, drafted by the Mets out of South Carolina, suffered his first pro loss.
Brooklyn vs. Tri-City – Tuesday, 11:30 a.m.
MCU Park – Brooklyn, NY
Probables: RHP Tylor Megill (0-0, 5.87) vs. TBA