GRANVILLE, W.V. (July 27, 2018) – Behind Manny Rodriguez’s three-hit night and Kyle Wilson’s seven-scoreless frames, the Brooklyn Cyclones, the Short Season, Class A affiliate of the New York Mets, crushed the West Virginia Black Bears 7-1 Friday night at Monongalia County Ballpark in the series opener.
For the full box score, click here. For the radio highlights, click here.
W: Wilson (1-3)
L: Bido (2-4)
- Leading 3-0 into the sixth, Manny Rodriguez’s bases-clearing, three-run two-bagger doubled the lead to 6-0. The Fort Greene native scored later in the frame on Carlos Cortes’ RBI rocket double to center field.
- Kyle Wilson shut down the Black Bears over seven scoreless innings, career high, while striking out a career-high eight batters. Wilson scattered four hits and a walk in his first Brooklyn victory.
- Brooklyn jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the third inning against West Virginia starter Osvaldo Bido, scoring on RBI hits from Cortes, Chase Chambers, and Brian Sharp.
KEY CYCLONES CONTRIBUTORS
- Manny Rodriguez: 3-4, 2B, 3B, 3 RBI, 2 R
- Kyle Wilson: W, 7 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 8 K
- Carlos Cortes: 2-4, 2 RBI, 2B, R, BB
- Chase Chambers: 2-5, 2B, RBI
NEWS & NOTES
- Manny Rodriguez tied a career-high with three hits, but set a career-high with three runs batted in. He finished a home run shy of the cycle.
- Brooklyn bats have combined for 19 runs on 26 hits over the past two games.
- Yeudy Colon snapped his scoreless streak at 14 innings, allowing a run in the ninth frame.
Brooklyn at West Virginia -- Saturday, 7:05 p.m.
Monongalia County Ballpark – Morgantown, WV
Probables: RHP Briam Campusano (2-4, 5.20 ERA) v RHP Aaron Shortridge (1-1, 2.89 ERA)