TROY, NY (July 19, 2018) – Carlos Cortes blasted his first professional home run and drove in a pair of runs, but the Brooklyn Cyclones, the Short Season, Class A affiliate of the New York Mets, dropped the series finale to the Tri-City ValleyCats 7-3 Thursday night at Joseph L. Bruno Stadium.
For the full box score, click here. For the radio highlights, click here.
W: Freure (2-0)
L: Lozer (0-2)
S: Hardy (4)
Cyclones HR: Cortes (1)
- Carlos Cortes lined a solo home run into the bullpen in right field in the top of the fifth, tying the game 2-2. Earlier, his RBI single in the second gave Brooklyn a 1-0 lead.
- Trailing 3-2 into the seventh, the ValleyCats rallied for four runs to take the lead. Gilberto Celestino’s two-run homer against Cyclones reliever Mac Lozer provided the spark for the big inning.
- Neither starting pitcher factored in the decision, but Brooklyn’s Kevin Smith tossed two scoreless frames with two strikeouts.
KEY CYCLONES CONTRIBUTORS
- Carlos Cortes: 2-4, HR, 2 RBI, R
- Chase Chambers: 1-3, R, BB
- Kevin Smith: 2 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 2 K
NEWS & NOTES
- Carlos Cortes, the Mets’ third-round draft selection from South Carolina, hit his first professional home run.
- Mac Lozer has allowed two home runs, both of which have come as two-run home runs against the Cyclones to give the opponent the lead.
- The Cyclones went 1-10 with runners in scoring position, stranding six runners.
Brooklyn vs. Lowell, Friday, 6:40 p.m.
MCU Park – Brooklyn, NY
Probables: RHP Kyle Wilson (0-2, 4.70 ERA) v LHP Yorvin Pantoja (2-0, 3.63 ERA)