BROOKLYN, NY (July 14, 2018) – Carlos Cortes drove in the winning run Saturday night as the Brooklyn Cyclones, the Short Season, Class A affiliate of the New York Mets, scored twice in the eighth inning to beat the Williamsport Crosscutters in the opener of a three-game series at MCU Park.
For the full box score, click here. For the radio highlights, click here.
W: Smith (3-0)
L: Jimenez (0-1)
- With the game tied in the eighth, Carlos Cortes’ two-out RBI single to right field gave the Cyclones a 4-3 advantage. Walter Rasquin’s run-scoring single plated an insurance run.
- The Crosscutters homered three times, including a game-tying solo home from Brayan Gonzalez in the seventh to make it 3-3.
- Brooklyn took a 2-0 lead against Crosscutters starter Manuel Silva in the first inning, scoring on Chase Chambers’ RBI double and Anthony Dirocie’s run-scoring groundout.
- Jason Vargas, though he did not factor in the decision, fanned 10 batters over six frames, allowing three solo homers and six total hits in his second rehab start with Brooklyn.
KEY CYCLONES CONTRIBUTORS
- Jason Vargas: 6 IP, 6 H, 3 ER, 0 BB, 10 K
- Anthony Dirocie:1-4, 2B, 2 RBI, BB
- Chase Chambers: 2-4, 2B, RBI, R, BB
- Kevin Smith: 3 IP, 1 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 3 K
NEWS & NOTES
- For the second consecutive night, the Cyclones rallied in their final at-bat for a victory. Brooklyn has won three consecutive games.
- Jason Vargas became the second major league rehabber to record double-digit strikeouts - joining RHP Dillon Gee - fanning 10 Crosscutters Saturday night.
- The Cyclones allowed three home runs in a game for the first time this season.
Brooklyn vs. Williamsport, Sunday 4 p.m.
MCU Park – Brooklyn, NY
Probables: RHP Kyle Wilson (0-2, 5.30 ERA) vs. RHP Colton Eastman (NYPL debut)