ABERDEEN, MD (July 12, 2018) – Jaison Vilera twirled seven brilliant, scoreless innings to send the Brooklyn Cyclones, the Short Season, Class A affiliate of the New York Mets, to a 6-0 shutout victory over the Aberdeen Ironbirds Thursday night in the second of a three-game series at Ripken Stadium.
For the full box score, click here. For the radio highlights, click here.
W: Vilera (2-1)
L: Rios (2-1)
- Jaison Vilera spun seven shutout innings, scattering three hits and one walk with a career-high nine strikeouts. The 21-year-old righty retired 10 of his final 11 batters to earn the victory.
- Brooklyn took a 2-0 lead in the second inning, picking up an RBI doubles from Chandler Avant and Walter Rasquin. Brooklyn added two more runs in the ninth inning on an Aberdeen throwing error, pushing the lead to 6-0.
- Mac Lozer tossed two scoreless innings of relief, striking out four.
KEY CYCLONES CONTRIBUTORS
- Jaison Vilera: 7 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 9 K
- Walter Rasquin: 3-5, 2 2B, RBI, R, SB
- Brian Sharp: 3-5
- Ross Adolph: 1-3, 3B, BB
NEWS & NOTES
- Jaison Vilera has tossed consecutive seven-inning outings, becoming the only Cyclones pitcher to fire seven innings.
- Walter Rasquin’s steal in the first inning marked his 33rd-career stolen base for Brooklyn, tying him with Angel Pagan for the most in team history.
- Brian Sharp collected his second three-hit game of the season, and is 4-8 over the first two games of the set.
Brooklyn at Aberdeen, Friday 7:05 p.m.
Leidos Field at Ripken Stadium - Aberdeen, MD
Probables: RHP Christian James (1-0, 3.04 ERA) v. LHP Matt Hammonds (1-1, 2.30 ERA)