BROOKLYN, NY (July 8, 2018) – Behind Noah Syndergaard’s arm and Jose Medina’s bat, the Brooklyn Cyclones, the Short Season, Class A affiliate of the New York Mets, edged the Staten Island Yankees 2-1 Sunday afternoon at MCU Park in front of a sellout crowd of 7,404.
For the full box score, click here. For the radio highlights, click here.
W: Smith (2-0)
L: Semple (1-2)
- In his first rehab start, Mets righty Noah Syndergaard fanned seven batters in five innings, allowing one run on two hits and a walk. The flamethrower tossed 71 pitches, 46 for strikes.
- Jose Medina’s RBI single in the eighth inning against Staten Island’s Shawn Semple broke a tie, giving the Cyclones a 2-1 lead. Medina’s run-scoring double in the third tied the game 1-1.
- Alex Junior scored from third base on a wild pitch in the top of the first, giving the Baby Bombers a 1-0 advantage.
KEY CYCLONES CONTRIBUTORS
- Noah Syndergaard: 5 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 7 K
- Jose Medina: 2-4, 2B, 2 RBI
- Kevin Smith: 3 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 4 K
NEWS & NOTES
- The Mets announced Sunday that LHP Jason Vargas (calf) will make a rehab start for the Cyclones Monday at Staten Island.
- Ryley Gilliam made his professional debut since being drafted in the fifth round out of Clemson in this year’s MLB Draft.
- With the win, the Cyclones snapped a season-long five game losing streak.
- Sunday’s game was the fastest game of the season at 2:17.
Brooklyn at Staten Island, Monday 7 p.m.
Richmond County Bank Ballpark – Staten Island, NY
Probables: RHP Jason Vargas (ML rehab) v. RHP Erik Swanson (0-0, 6.00 ERA)