BROOKLYN, NY (July 5, 2018) – Jaison Vilera fanned a career-high eight batters over seven strong innings, but the Brooklyn Cyclones, the Short Season, Class A affiliate of the New York Mets, were defeated by the Aberdeen Ironbirds 2-1 in the middle game of a three-game series Thursday night at MCU Park.
For the full box score, click here. For the radio highlights, click here.
W: Fenter (1-1)
L: Vilera (1-1)
SV: Conroy (1)
- Jaison Vilera threw seven innings of two-run ball, striking out a career-high-tying eight batters. He allowed five hits and a walk, and faced the minimum over his first four innings.
- Angel Manzanarez cut the deficit in half with a sacrifice fly in the bottom of the seventh, getting the Cyclones on the board.
- Aberdeen’s Doran Turchin doubled home two runs in the top of the fifth, giving the Ironbirds a 2-0 lead. In the bottom of the frame, Turchin threw out Chandler Avant at the plate to complete an inning-ending double play.
KEY CYCLONES CONTRIBUTORS
- Jaison Vilera: 7 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 8 K
- Chandler Avant: 3-4
- Angel Manzanarez: 1-2, SAC, RBI
NEWS & NOTES
- Jaison Vilera became the first Cyclones starter to compile seven innings this season.
- With Thursday night’s loss, Brooklyn has dropped each of the past three series after winning the first four of the season.
- Chandler Avant collected a career-high three hits, while Angel Manzanarez has driven in six runs in seven games.
Brooklyn vs. Aberdeen, Friday 6:40 p.m.
MCU Park – Brooklyn, NY
Probables: RHP Kyle Wilson (0-1, 5.68 ERA) vs. LHP Willie Rios (1-0, 3.46 ERA)