BROOKLYN, NY (July 3, 2018) – Staten Island’s Nolan Martinez tossed 6 2/3 strong innings as the Yankees topped the Brooklyn Cyclones, the Short Season, Class A affiliate of the New York Mets 5-1 Tuesday night in the series finale at MCU Park. The Cyclones dropped the rubber match of the three-game series.
For the full box score, click here. For the radio highlight, click here.
W: Martinez (2-0)
L: Huertas (0-1)
Cyclones HR: Sharp (2)
- Nolan Martinez turned in 6 2/3 innings of one-run ball, allowing one run on two hits with four strikeouts in a rehab start. Martinez finished his outing retiring 12 of his final 13 batters.
- Brian Sharp’s second home run of the season, a solo blast, gave Brooklyn the early 1-0 lead in the third inning.
- Staten Island scored five runs over the fourth, fifth, and sixth innings against reliever Joel Huertas. Andres Chaparro’s solo blast and Jerry Seitz’s two-RBI single highlighted the damage.
KEY CYCLONES CONTRIBUTORS
- Brian Sharp: 1-4, HR, RBI, R
- Kevin Smith: 3 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 5 K
- Tommy Wilson: 2 IP, 1 K
- Kevin Hall: 1-3, 2B
NEWS & NOTES
- With Tuesday’s loss, the Cyclones have dropped consecutive series after beginning the season winning four sets in a row.
- The Battle for the Bridge, between rivals Brooklyn and Staten Island, is tied a three game apiece.
- Both infielder Carlos Cortes (0-4, 2 K) and reliever Tommy Wilson made their professional debuts.
Brooklyn vs. Aberdeen, Wednesday 6 p.m.
MCU Park – Brooklyn, NY
Probables: RHP Briam Campusano (2-1, 2.19 ERA) vs. RHP Jimmy Murphy (1-0, 1.69 ERA)