For one night this summer, the Brooklyn Cyclones will be transformed into the Baracklyn Cyclones
, honoring the 44th President of the United States with a night of patriotic partying at the ballpark.
The landmark game will take place on Tuesday, June 23rd – the “Inaugural Tuesday” of the 2009 New York-Penn League season – and will feature, among other highlights:
- Alternate red, white, and blue jerseys adorned with the team’s new name
- FREE Barack Obama bobbleheads to the first 2,500 fans in attendance, featuring the President in a Baracklyn Cyclones Jersey
- The Economic Stimulus Package: From 10am on January 20th – Inauguration Day – to midnight on January 23rd, ticket prices for the June 23rd game will be “rolled back” to the Cyclones’ inaugural 2001 season rates: $10 Field Box Seats, $8 Box Seats, $5 Bleacher Seats. Beginning January 24th, tickets will be priced at the regular 2009 rates ($15, $12, $8)
- Universal Health Care: Free Band-Aids to the first 1,000 fans
- Naming Rights: Anyone named Barack gets in for free
- Joe the Plumber special: any plumber named Joe gets two free tickets – one for himself, and one to “spread the wealth” with a friend
- Bi-Partisan Consolation Prize: anyone named McCain or Palin will get a free Bleacher Seat
- A clear-cut Exit Strategy: fans will receive American Flags and discount coupons as they leave the ballpark
In addition, the Cyclones will hold four seats directly behind home plate, Row A, Seats 1-4, for the new First Family, should they decide to attend the festivities.
“Barack Obama has energized and captivated the entire country, and we are proud to support our new president as America enters a new era in its history,” said Cyclones General Manager Steve Cohen. “The similarities between his name and our home borough opened up avenues for the Cyclones to incorporate that support in interesting and humorous ways.” Cohen further explained that “the President-elect’s message is one of change. In an effort to pay homage to that idea, we’re changing our prices, our policies, and the name of our team – for one day, at least.”
Game-worn jerseys from the one-of-a-kind night will be auctioned off throughout the game, with proceeds being donated to the Jackie Robinson Foundation, which provides comprehensive scholarships and support services to minority students enrolled at institutions of higher education.
The team is also launching a new site, baracklyncyclones.com, with progress updates, photos, blog entries, and a behind-the-scenes look at what goes into creating the Baracklyn promotion.
Thanks to the Cyclones’ Economic Stimulus Package, fans can purchase tickets to the June 23rd Baracklyn Cyclones game beginning on Inauguration Day, January 20th, at 10am, by clicking here or calling 718-507-TIXX.