CONEY ISLAND, NY (September 1, 2018) – Behind Matt Sauer and Junior Soto, the Staten Island Yankees edged the Brooklyn Cyclones, the Short Season, Class A affiliate of the New York Mets, 3-1 Saturday night at MCU Park in the series opener.
For the full box score, click here. For the radio highlights, click here.
W: Sauer (3-6)
L: Vilera (5-2)
S: McGarity (3)
- Staten Island’s Matt Sauer out-dueled Brooklyn’s Jaison Vilera, yielding one unearned run in 5 1/3 innings for the victory. The Yankees’ No. 10 prospect, according to MLB Pipeline, struck out one and walked two.
- Junior Soto’s two-run double in the sixth against Jaison Vilera gave Staten Island a 3-1 lead.
- Trailing early, the Cyclones tied the game at 1-1 when Wagner Lagrange scored from third on a passed ball.
KEY CYCLONES CONTRIBUTORS
- Wagner Lagrange: 3-4, R, SB
- Walter Rasquin: 2-4, 2B, SB
- Angel Manzanarez: 2-3, 2B
NEWS & NOTES
- With a Cyclones loss and an earlier Auburn win Saturday, Brooklyn needs to win its final two games and receive two Auburn losses to clinch the playoffs.
- Staten Island owns a 6-4 record against Brooklyn in the 2018 Battle for the Bridge.
- Jaison Vilera finished his regular season with a league-best 1.83 ERA, but the Cyclones won just six of his 13 starts.
Brooklyn at Staten Island – Sunday, 1:30 p.m.
Richmond County Bank Ballpark – Staten Island, NY
Probables: RHP Jose Butto (1-2, 5.47) vs. RHP Frank German (1-2, 1.78)