CONEY ISLAND, NY (September 9, 2019) – The Brooklyn Cyclones, the Short-Season Class A affiliate of the New York Mets, could not rally from an early deficit, dropping a 3-1 loss to the Lowell Spinners in Game 2 of the New York-Penn League Championship Series at MCU Park on Monday night.
Brooklyn’s loss sets up a winner-take-all Game 3 for the championship on Tuesday night at MCU Park. Click here to purchase your $5 tickets for Game 3.
For the full box score, click here.
For the full highlights, click here.
W: Murphy (1-0)
L: Valentino (0-1)
SV: Jackson (1)
- Lowell plated all three of its runs in the top of the second off Brooklyn starter Frank Valentino. One batter after a Cyclones error on a potential double-play ground-ball, Stephen Scott drove in the game’s first run on an RBI single to right field. Two batters later, Gilberto Jimenez smacked a two-run single to center to give the Spinners a 3-0 lead.
- With two men in scoring position in the bottom of the second, Ranfy Adon bounced a tall chopper through the middle and beat it out for an RBI infield single, scoring Joe Genord from third.
- Brooklyn’s best chance came in the sixth inning after Luke Ritter and Genord collected back-to-back, one-out singles. But Lowell reliever Chris Murphy, who earned the win with four shutout innings, induced a ground out and a strikeout to get out of the threat.
KEY CYCLONES CONTRIBUTORS
- Joe Genord: 3-4, R
- Ranfy Adon: 1-3, RBI
- Brett Baty: 1-3, 2B, BB, 2 K
- Frank Valentino: L, 4.1 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 5 K
NEWS & NOTES
- The Cyclones and Spinners will play a winner-take-all Game 3 on Tuesday night at 6:30 at MCU Park.
- In five playoff games, the Cyclones’ relief staff have posted a 0.71 ERA, allowing two runs in 25.1 innings with 30 strikeouts.
- Brooklyn committed two errors in a game for the second time in the playoffs and conceded its first unearned run of the postseason.
Brooklyn Cyclones vs. Lowell Spinners – Tuesday, 6:30 p.m.
MCU Park – Coney Island, NY
Probables: RHP Nate Jones (0-0, 0.00 ERA) vs. TBA