08/31/2019 8:09 PM
Article By: BrooklynCyclones.com Reports
CONEY ISLAND, NY (August 31, 2019) – Joe Genord and Luke Ritter combined to drive in nine runs, sending the Brooklyn Cyclones, the Short Season Class A affiliate of the New York Mets, to a 11-2 victory against the Staten Island Yankees Saturday night in the series opener at MCU Park in front of 7,881.
For the full box score, click here.
W: Ragan (3-0)
L: Garcia (2-2)
Cyclones HR: Genord (9)
- Mets rehabber Robinson Cano doubled and scored in the bottom of the sixth, breaking a 3-2 tie to give the Cyclones the lead for good.
- Joe Genord’s three-run home run finished off Brooklyn’s seven-run seventh inning against the Yankees, pushing the lead to 11-2.
- Luke Ritter went 3-5, including a game-tying RBI in the bottom of the first on a single, and the go-ahead RBI in the sixth to make it 3-2.
- Dan Goggin, Mitch Ragan, Reyson Santos, and Josh Hejka tossed seven scoreless innings of relief.
KEY CYCLONES CONTRIBUTORS
- Joe Genord: 2-2-, SF, HR, 5 RBI, BB, R
- Luke Ritter: 3-5, 2B, 4 RBI, 3 R
- Robinson Cano: 2-4, 2B, RBI, R
- Dan Goggin: 3 IP, 0 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 4 K
- Matthew Allan: 2 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 3 K
NEWS & NOTES
- With the victory, the Cyclones are tied with Aberdeen atop the Wild Card standing with two games to play.
- Matthew Allan, the Mets third-round selection out of Seminole High School in Florida, made his Cyclones debut as a starter.
- Joe Genord tallied five RBIs Saturday, bringing his season total to 44 to lead the club.
Cyclones at Staten Island Yankees
Richmond County Bank Ballpark – Staten Island, NY
Probables: RHP Garrison Bryant (5-1, 2.18 ERA) vs. RHP Anderson Munoz (7-2, 2.48 ERA)